Śledzik (small herring) – Mardi Gras or Shrove Tuesday
Celebrating the last day of carnival so-called “śledzik” (small herring) in Polish, cannot take place without herrings in Poland. Originally herrings were served together with “żur” (kind of white borsch) in the night from Shrove Tuesday to Ash Wednesday as a sign of the end of carnival exuberant partying and beginnings of fasten. Nowadays, eating herrings, as I was written in one of my previous post, is the part of the Shrove Tuesday tradition. I brought some herrings from Poland from our vacation, aiming especially at this opportunity.
This time, however, we haven’t had the herrings on this exact day.
In São Paulo Shrove Tuesday was too hot to have herrings, so we went for the Italian style salad and cake and recipes will come in the next post.
Nevertheless, we had herring salad for the beginning of Lent. It was a must.
Herring salad with beetroot (Sałatka ze śledzi z burakami)
4-6 salt brine herrings (cut in small pieces)
3 medium beetroot (baked in the oven or cooked, peeled, cut in cubes)
2 boiled potatoes (peeled and cut in cubes)
1 big onion (finely chopped)
3 hard-boiled eggs (cut in cubes)
3 sour cucumbers (salt, dill brine ones, cut in cubes)
1 apple (e.g. Granny Smith; cut in cubes)
3 Tablespoons of dill (finely chopped)
2 Tablespoons of lemon or lime
100 ml of yogurt (it can be mixed with mayonnaise)
Dill for decoration – a few springs
- Drain herrings from the salt brine, if they are too salty wash them in a cold water and dry them a bit
- Bake or boil beets, potatoes and eggs; cut in small cubes, sprinkle the beets with the lemon juice)
- Cut other ingredients in cubes or chopped them finely
- Sprinkle the chopped onion with salt to make it more juicy
- Put aside a little bit onion, herrings and beetroot
- Mix the rest of the ingredients
- Arrange the salad in glasses, starting from the onion, beets, herrings and the mixture of the salad from the rest of components
- Decorate with a few pieces of herring, beetroot and dill or whatever idea you have
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
Alternatively: mixed all the ingredients, cool them and just enjoy without an unnecessary fuss.